2004-10-05

New version of Pickaxe book is available

The second edition of Programming Ruby (aka the Pickaxe book) is now shipping. Shashank says he received a copy at RubyConf 2004.

Everybody (so it seems) talks about the Pickaxe book like it's the one to own, but I have a guilty confession of sorts. I'm new to Ruby, so I turn to the online copy of the first edition a lot—and I'm not very impressed with how it's arranged. It seems like every time I go to look something up, I have to try two or three different chapters before I find what I'm looking for.

Maybe it's because it's an HTML version; there's no index, and the table of contents is more a list of chapters than a detailed outline of the book. Maybe it's because this book isn't intended for beginners like me. Maybe it's because the way I think has been molded by exposure to too many O'Reilly books on Perl. :-) Whatever the reason, I think I'm going to need to leaf through a dead-tree version of the Pickaxe book to justify buying one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home